MetricStream Environmental Policy
As a software company the impact that MetricStream has on the environment from its own operations is relatively low when compared to companies in other industries. However, MetricStream recognizes that it still has a role to play in reducing the impact that global business has on the environment. Through partnership with its employees, suppliers and customers MetricStream aims to continually find ways of reducing its own impact upon the environment and also to reduce the ecological impact of its customers through software innovation and improved efficiency.
MetricStream maintain policies and procedures which will ensure the conservation of natural resources and minimize any adverse environmental impact from our operations; including, but not limited to, waste reduction, re-use and recycling. As far as is practical, we will use fairly traded products.
We aim to review our environmental policy regularly to improve our performance and quality. All employees are made aware of this policy and their responsibilities for environmental issues. This environmental policy is contained in the company's corporate training and policy material and on our employee intranet and website.
- MetricStream conducts business in a manner which, as far as practicable, has minimal adverse effects on the environment.
- MetricStream will maintain an awareness of all legislation, regulations and codes of practice on environmental matters, and take all reasonable actions to ensure compliance.
- MetricStream will, where viable and consistent with its clients’ needs and expectations, use materials and products from sustainable sources.
- MetricStream makes every reasonable effort to ensure minimal disruption to neighbors and passers-by during the conduct of its business.
- MetricStream will periodically assess its environmental impact and review this policy accordingly.
Suppliers & Partners
- MetricStream holds environmental awareness and sustainability as key factors in the selection of strategic partners and suppliers of services.
- MetricStream will continually review its list of suppliers and strategic partners and their environmental policies.
There is no use of high powered electrical machinery in the company, but electrical energy is used for our computers and lighting. We strive to reduce energy consumption, for example with more efficient lighting and switching off electronic equipment when not in use. The company operates an energy conservation policy to ensure that:
- Non-critical electrical equipment is switched off when not needed.
- Lighting and heating levels are reduced.
- Air-conditioning is used only when temperatures are too high to be controlled through opening windows alone.
- Low energy electrical equipment will be preferred for purchase.
- New computers bought should, if possible, be environmental friendly.
Our major transport requirements are to give demonstrations of our software and consulting to our clients.
- We endeavor to perform business electronically (web-based product demonstrations; e-mails; phone and conferencing) to avoid travel where possible.
- We ask our staff to travel Economy class unless there is a business reason to travel in a higher class - where flying is unavoidable, we take carbon offsetting options.
- Public transport is to be used for business purposes where reasonably possible.
- Mileage rates are the same no matter what engine size is used, in order to encourage the use of smaller vehicles.
- We encourage employees to use public transport or cycle when traveling to work. Where employees do not live locally to our offices, we allow them to work from home when feasible.
MetricStream works toward generating less industrial waste and reducing energy and resource use in our business activities.
- We distribute our software electronically so as to avoid the need to print manuals and copy CDs.
- We seek to purchase products which are environmentally friendly, re-usable, recyclable and which do not damage the environment.
- Incoming packaging materials are re-used.
- Sorting at source and recycling as much as possible, for example paper, glass, plastics, toners, metal, batteries and other hazardous waste.
- Disposable packages should if possible be avoided.
- Minimize printed material. Avoid printing, if necessary to print primarily use the functionality for printing on both sides.
- Send documents electronically instead of by mail. For example invoices should, if possible, be sent electronically.
MetricStream maintains a generally paperless office. Although an entirely paperless operation is not practicable, paper usage is kept to a minimum for example by using duplex printing.
Furthermore, since the majority of the documentation utilized or maintained by MetricStream is frequently updated, hardcopy is usually restricted only to the relevant pages. Entire documents are on rare occasions reproduced in full at the request of the client.
Daily business operations are fulfilled using a bespoke database that enables the following business functions to be paperless*:
- Client records
- Project management
- Electronic invoicing & reconciliation
- Customer relationship & contact management
- Employee timesheets
- Training & reference materials
* Notwithstanding the minimum information that we are required by law to maintain in hardcopy
Water Usage and Conservation
MetricStream's headquarters in Palo Alto and other offices spread across the globe use water for cooling, cafés, gymnasium operations, landscape irrigation and general employee consumption. Conservation of water is of the utmost importance to MetricStream. MetricStream has implemented a combination of water-saving technologies and practices, coupled with increased employee awareness about water usage. Such efforts include:
- Installation of automatic and low-flow toilets, shower heads in all buildings
- Cooling towers with higher-efficiency systems that can be operated with utility reclaimed water
- Reducing and customizing irrigation schedules to optimize requirements
Hazardous Material & Waste Management
MetricStream is software Company and doesn't handle any hazardous materials. We have set policies and standards to handle any possible hazardous materials and waste that we may have to handle while operating our facilities or electronic equipments. MetricStream waste management program has established processes to effectively measure and monitor the operational waste stream. MetricStream realizes that significant environmental benefits can be generated from efforts at an individual or local level.
- Distribute software and documents electronically so as to avoid the need to print manuals and copy CDs.
- Recycling options for aluminum, batteries, cardboard, electronics, glass, magazines, newspaper, pallets, paper, plastic bottles, printer cartridges, scrap metal and more.
- Use of biodegradable and recyclable materials is strongly encouraged
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
MetricStream is committed to becoming more energy efficient across our business to reduce our total operational carbon footprint. Employee Travel and Energy use within our facilities are the major contributors of GHG Emissions. MetricStream has implemented systems in place to monitor and calculate our GHG emissions according to industry standards. We constantly make conscious efforts to reduce the emission levels using best practices and works with various agencies on carbon credits and plant trees.
We make our environmental position clear to clients and to our employees during their daily work.
MetricStream has set environmental goals and works toward continuous improvement. MetricStream aims to reduce its impact on the environment each day and hopes to achieve this by:
- Monitoring the level of water and energy used along with the waste produced by the business.
- Where appropriate targeting: A reduction in the use of water and energy; A reduction in waste along with an increase the amount of waste that is recycled or reused.
- Increasing the awareness and engagement of employees and suppliers to environmental issues.
- Undertaking to act in a responsible manner through sustainable practices designed to ensure the health and safety of MetricStream employees, stakeholders and the environment.
- Operating its business with integrity and in compliance of environmental laws and regulations.